Saturday 20th December 1817

Saturday 20
3 3/4
2

After a few hours disturbed sleep, Boots called me 1/4 before 4 – got up immediately,
washed my face and hands, buttoned on my boots, etc, gave Boots a shilling and got into the
mail at 4 – A decent kind of woman and 2 decent kind of tradesmen my companions – Got to
Halifax a little before 8 – saw about my luggage – just called at Northgate to send my love to
my aunt and say I was arrived – walked to Gradon’s the shoemakers, at Haley-hill to order a
pair of strong shoes and reached Shibden a little before 9 – my uncle and aunt not having
expected me till one (by the Highflier) were agreeably surprised to see me and I felt
glad I had not been persuaded to wait and come with M-[Mariana] next Friday – Found waiting
for me a treble charged – letter from Isabella – post mark ‘Manchester 17 December 1817’ –
but, to my disappointment, not a single line in it but eleven beautiful little views
of Naples etc. – Did nothing the whole day but sit talking to my uncle and aunt (my uncle
went to Halifax in the morning) giving an account of my stay at Market Weighton, and hearing what
had passed here during my absence -  A little rain between 4 and 6 in the morning afterwards
pretty fine till about 9, or between 9 and 10, when it threatened snow, and we had 2 or 3 flying
showers of it – Very fine moonlight evening and night sat up unpacking my things – 


Original diary page: 
https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00001%2f7%2f9%2f6%2f1%2f65&pos=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 19th December 1817

Thursday 25th, Friday 26th December 1817

Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th December 1817