Thursday 25th, Friday 26th December 1817

Thurs[day] 25
9
11 40/60 

We all went to morn[in]g ch[ur]ch and st[ai]d the sacram[en]t, assist[e]d my aunt in r[ea]ding pray[er]s in the aft[ernoo]n. In the ev[ening] r[ea]d al[ou]d serm[on]s 8 and 9 Hoole – A remark[abl]y fine frosty day –  Roads ver[y] slipp[er]y – Barom[eter] 1 1/2 deg[rees] ab[ov]e chang[a]ble Fahr[enheit] 29° at 9p.m –


Fri[day] 26
8
12

In the morn[in]g wrote a full sheet to Mrs H. J. Belcombe (Newcastle Haffordsh[ire]) in anw[er] to
her last let[ter] dat[e]d 7 Nov[ember] and rec[ieve]d by me fr[om] the hands of M-[Mariana] in Petergate York, Tues[day] ev[ening] 9 Dec[ember] – Just bef[ore] and dur[in]g din[ner] look[in]g ov[e]r my acc[oun]ts. Went w[i]thout din[ner] today,
not hav[in]g felt well since I came home (bilious and heavy) w[hi]ch I solely attribute to 
din[in]g at 2p.m w[hi]ch cert[ainl]y nev[er] agrees w[i]th me – went downst[air]s to dessert and then 
walk[e]d to meet M-Mariana] on her way fr[om] York to Lawton, thro’ Leeds by Burstall and met her (and the cook, Elizabeth… she h[a]d hir[e]d in York) in the [Landan], and a few y[a]rds bey[o]nd the 
Hipperholme bar – I was pleas[e]d to find she h[a]d ver[y] good horses and ver[y] civ[il] drivers fr[om] the Rose and Crown (Leeds) and w[hi]ch were in readiness accord[in]g to my orders at 1, exact[l]y the time she reach[e]d Leeds – M-[Mariana] arriv[e]d here at 5 by the kitchen clock, 3/4 past 4 by Halifax and 1/4 past 4 by Leeds and York – She brought me a small parcel fr[om] Nantz contain[in]g a ver[y] kind note fr[om] herself and one fr[om] Lou, and a p[ai]r of camb[er] mus[ic] sleeves w[i]th broad wristbands to be worn as [liniges], w[hi]ch she (Nantz) had made, and anoth[er] fr[om] w[hi]ch she h[a]d alter[ed] for me* - aft[er] tea, M-[Mariana] and I play[e]d whist ag[ain]st my unc[le] and aunt and won a rubb[e]r of 4 and a [gamie] – Ver[y] fine frosty day – Barom[eter] a lit[tle] bel[ow] chang[a]ble Fahr[enheit] 29° at 9p.m. Came upst[air]s 20 min[ute]s bef[ore] 11, but sat up talk[in]g till 12 – after all I believe [Pi-Mariana]s heart is all my own M-[Mariana] told us aft[er] tea what a n[e]ar escape Mr C[harles]. L[awton] h[a]d h[a]d the oth[er] day of being shot in get[in]g ov[er] a hedge, something caught the trigger, the gun went off and the contents on[l]y just miss[e]d – A sim[ila]r accid[en]t I underst[a]nd occur[e]d to him just bef[ore] M-[Mariana] and Louisa left Lawton, and his glove and waistcoat were a good deal burnt - 

*and a tassie seal – a new moon 
rising ov[er] the sea – motto – je ne
change qui in appearance  


Original pages:https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00001%2f7%2f9%2f6%2f1%2f66&pos=1 

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00001%2f7%2f9%2f6%2f1%2f67&pos=1 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 19th December 1817

Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th December 1817