Friday 19th December 1817

Friday 19 
8 1/2 
10

No kiss this morning nor (as Mariana did not feel well) last night tho Louisa did not get
home from the [serieant] sons till one o' clock - busy packing all the morning Mariana
sat by me - talked over my adventures in former days - Mariana said had she known them
she would never have been introduced to me - Mariana wanted a kiss but I said it was too dangerous
that I really had not courage and that we had better practise a little self denial - 
I find from Mariana, Mrs Darvall is quite of my opinion as to the management of this business with
Jane Preston - I told her, I thought as he did of the absurdity of making so much ado to
so little purpose, and that I could think of no sort of consolation but her having saved her 30 or
5 and 30 pounds - at 1 took a Harty luncheon - said good bye and got out of the house by 1/2 past - 

In my way to the Black Swan in Coney Street called at Todd’s to inquire for a Heli 
bible to give Lou met with a thick 8 volume 2nd hand edition of Simon’s at £1.8-o, but this 
not suiting my purpose. Call[e]d at Mrs Marshalls (late Mrs Doughty’s) – bought Anne and 
Louisa each a mother of pearl knife with two blades corkscrew llb and at the end a pair of 
small scissors contained in a silver sheath price 14sh 4d each. As Mrs D had not another of
the same size I got a smaller one for Mariana price eight and sixpence. Got a silver
pencil case with a magnifying glass at the end for Mrs Belcombe price fifteen shillings. 
Hastily directed them and desired they might be sent immediately to Doctor
B’s – Just got to the Black Swan in time – took my seat in the True Blue heaven coach,
and drove off for Leeds as the minstry clock struck 2 – Two 1/2 ladies from Hull, 2 school
girls, and a great horse dealer who during the war had supplied almost the whole of the British
Cavalry, and who had been at the great York fair which ended yesterday, were my companions –
and be said the people sent over from Hanover, under the direction of a gentleman who had been a
captain in the German Legion, to buy horses, had made, he thought, but an indifferent selection
and be saw 6 for 4 of which they had £200 – 

It turn[e]d out a rainy afternoon we reached Leeds and stopped at the Golden Lion at 1/2 past 6 – Got a porter to take my luggage and led the way to the Rose and Crown in Briggate – after at least 1/4 miles wet walk thro’ dirty busy streets, they told me I could not secure a place in the mail till 4 in the
morning, and yet they were so full, they had not a bed to spare me, nor an unoccupied
room for me to sit down in – Sent for my friend the chamber maid, and made my
little arrangements with her – then while tea was ready went to Radford’s (just over the way) to order rings in memory of my poor mother. For the family including Mrs Farrer, ordered 7 embossed hoops at 42s each, (Marian’s having in addition a box head with pair which made it 2 guineas and 1/2) 
To the memory of embossed in gold black letters on the outside, and in the inside Rebecca Lister
object 13 November at 47 – for Mrs Human a fit headed ring 20s for Mr Human, Mrs 
Alderman Dales of York, the 2 Messrs [Traut] of Leeds, and old Mrs Wetherherd of Halifax,
mourning hoops 36s – giving directions for the sending them as my father desired. * 

My friend the chamber maid put me into a parlour that would not be wanted till 10, had got
me tea and everything comfortable and let me have a snug little bedroom no.18 at the extreme of
the house on the 3rd floor – she shewed me upstairs a little before 10, lighted me 2 mould
candles on my dressing table, brought me a rush-light as I thought the room too small
for a fire, assured me I had really clean sheets and hoped I should have a good night – I had 3s
for my tea and lodging and gave the civil chamber maid 2/6 – washed my hands, untied my neckerchief, took off my boots, and got into my little camper bed which I certainly find very clean and comfortable. 

Just before coming upstairs Mr and Mrs Webster (from Halifax, she a stay-maker) the occupiers
of my sitting room, came in – I thought it proper to stay a short while, and she amused me with
an account of the roguery practiced in coach offices about luggage and charges, saying they would take advantage where they could and that being company clerks and understrappers greedy for all they can get they would charge money both for luggage and the fare than they ought, and that strangers should always look at the bill of fares, posted in the office, before they had what was demanded – 

*fine O for my aunt Anne’s 3rd finger. M for my aunt listers fore finger. P for my uncle L – but O would have been better – R for my father. For Marian’s 3rd finger what fits the fore finger of my left hand i.e. O and for my own little fing[e]r. 


Original diary pages:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday 25th, Friday 26th December 1817

Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th December 1817